The application process

Who can apply for properties through Home Choice Lincs?

Anyone aged 16 years or over may apply to join the Housing Register.

How do I apply to join the Housing Register?

You will need to complete an online application form.

What documents do I need to provide?

When you are successful in your 'bid' for a property you will need to provide the following to your new landlord:

  • Photo ID
  • Proof of residency if non UK citizen
  • Proof of NI number
  • Proof of Income/bank statements/wage slips
  • Reference - landlord or character

Before you are allocated your banding you may need to provide additional documents to support your application. We will tell you what documents to provide and when to provide them.

All documents provided must be originals, up to date and valid.

What happens if I do not provide the required documents?

Providing you have properly completed your application form it will be processed but placed in the lowest band, until the documents are received, at which point it will be moved into the appropriate band from the date they are received. If your application form is incomplete we will ask you to provide more information. The date it is effective from will be the date the required information is received.

How do I know if I have been accepted onto the Housing Register?

You will receive a letter or email confirming that you have been accepted onto the Housing Register. This will tell you your band, the date your application was registered from and the size of property you are eligible for. All letters sent to you are also available to view on the communications section of your account.

How quickly will my application be processed?

We aim to process your applciation within 10 working days however timescales may vary.

Can you refuse to accept me onto the Housing Register?

There are some people who are not eligible to be included on the Housing Register. These are:

  • Certain people who are subject to Immigration Control under the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act
  • Certain people from abroad who are not subject to immigration control but who are not habitually resident in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland.
  • People (including members of their household) who have been guilty of unacceptable behaviour that makes them unsuitable to be a tenant

What are priority bands?

Your application will be assessed according to your level of housing need and placed into one of 4 bands, 1, 2, 3 and 4. We will also take into account whether you have a local connection with North or North East Lincolnshire and the extent of this, and whether you are able to afford to resolve your own housing problems. Within each band applications are placed in date order. You can read more about banding on another webpage.

How long will I stay in the same band?

We will regularly assess applicants in the higher bands to ensure that they are still in housing need.

What do I do if my circumstances change?

It is very important that you tell us of any changes in your circumstances by amending your online application. We will assess any changes that may impact on your banding within 5 working days. If you move up a band the date used will be the date you move into that band. If you move down a band the date used will be the date that applied when you were previously in that band or any earlier date when you were in a higher band.

Do I need to renew my application?

Yes, we may send you a message via the website from time to time to renew your application

What if someone in my household has a medical condition?

If someone in your household has a medical condition and your current home is unsuitable for you, you should provide evidence of this when you complete your online application. This information will then be considered by the Home Choice Lincs Team when allocating your banding. You can continue to choose which properties to express an interest in but must be mindful of your condition and only express interest in suitable properties such as ground floor flat or bungalow if you cannot climb stairs.